Sunday, July 10, 2011

Another run bites the dust!

Another race under my belt, and with it some stunning results!

Going into the last race in the Run Auckland Series, there was lots of talk of it being and flat and fast course, so I was hoping to better my PB. And I was aiming high! I wanted a 1hour finish time, and I thought it was within my reach. Luckily I know myself well, and I was only 10seconds over my desired time of 1 hour. And in my books, that's a huge success.

The race started out slow, with lots of people, so making my way through the start and getting the space to get to my pace took a little while. For the first bit of the run my legs felt a bit heavy and I was wondering if I was going to be able to better my time, but as I rounded on to the long straight away I got into my groove and things started to feel better. Thoroughly checking out the route would have helped me mentally, as there were a few twists and turns in the last 2kms, so I was a little disoriented, and the start line took me by surprise. Mind you, a good surprise! As I came up to the hairpin turn before the start, I could already see the clock - and it had just passed 30mins. I was right on track for a 1 hour finish, as long as I could keep my pace. The second lap started well, then between km 1 and 2 I lost my pace and ended up having to stop for a few seconds of walking to reset. Then I was off! The second lap is better, because you know exactly what is coming, so there is no fear of the unknown. As I came closer to the end, I switched on a good song on my ipod and opened up my stride. The last km saw me over take a few people, and as I approached the finish line,  with only the hairpin turn left, I saw the clock say 1:00:30 - if I wanted to get in around the 1 hour mark I would have to keep my sprint till I got over the line. And I did! I knew that I crossed the line at the start a good 30 seconds in, so I knew I was within a few seconds of my 1 hour goal. It wasn't until the results went up tonight that I confirmed that I did the race in 1:00:10 - a fabulous time. And I had a negative split (second lap was faster than my first) - even with that bit of walking I did.

I'm so pleased! Can't wait for the next race!!!

5k PB 35:16
10k PB  1:00:10
Next race is in 3 weeks!
49 Days till the half marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment