Monday, June 20, 2011

10k - Complete!

The big run was yesterday, and although I was rather nervous, having not had solid training leading up to it, it went really well!  The rain held off and it was sunny and beautiful - one might even say it was a bit hot, but I was running so not the best judge of that!

The course was pretty good, gentle hills that weren't too much of a challenge, and then one massive hill. When I rounded the corner to see the big hill, the girl beside me and I pulled out our earphone and said "what the hell is that!". Even with checking out the elevation profile of the course, I wasn't prepared for a hill that steep. Thankfully it wasn't too long, and there was a drink station conveniently placed at the top. The first lap I manager to run about half way up the hill, but the second time around I wasn't far up before I gave in to walking.

I crossed the line for the first lap with a time of 35:12 showing on the clock, which meant that my lap was faster than my last 5k - even with the hill. I was hoping for a time of 1:10, but being realistic, expecting closer to 1:15, figuring I'd slow my pace slightly on the 2nd lap, and my 1st lap time was right on par with my predictions. The second lap is better, as you know what is coming. While rounding the gentle incline before the massive hill, I was mentally preparing myself for the climb. As I passed the 4km sign, I knew the course was downhill and then rounds into the finish, so I opened up my stride and called on the energy reserve I had. And although I walked a bit more, and felt like I was going slower, I managed to pull up my pace and come across the line at a time of 1:09 on the clock. I was ecstatic! A great result, and I was feeling good!

The official results are:
Official time - 1:09:46
Net time - 1:08:42
1st lap time - 34:13
2nd lap time - 34:28


Mid race, looking serious!


5k PB 35:16
10k PB  1:08:42
21 days till the next 10k
69 Days till the half marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment