Sunday, May 29, 2011

5k - done!

Today I ran my first ever 5k race and I loved it. It turned out to be a great day, despite some showers before the race started, although the grass parts of the course were a little wet. The run was at Onepoto Reserve here on Auckland's North Shore, an area that is a volcanic crater, so needless to say, there were a few super duper hills! This race was the 4th in the 6 race Run Auckland series, and from speaking to others, it was by far the hardest in terms of hills. One man I met was slower on this course than the others, and he ran this one completely whereas he walked some of the previous ones.

The fact that I ran the entire route (I shouldn't lie, I did slow to a walk for about 3 steps whilst going over some flowing water on the path) was a great accomplishment, considering the climbs on the course - we went up 46 metres in total. When I got to about the last km, with the end in sight, I found that extra reserve of energy and picked up the pace, over taking many people and really opening up my stride for the the home stretch. I couldn't have been more pleased with the result - the official time isn't up yet, but I think it was about 35 minutes! Not too shabby for my first go. Lots of room for improvement!

The next run in the series is on June 19th, and I think I am going to attempt the 10k this time. I met a guy who lives close to me who is doing the whole series, so I'll have a friendly face to see at the next run, and I might even see him out on the roads - he's given me some suggestions for routes to run.

After finishing the run

5k complete!!
21 days till the 10k
121 Days till the half marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment